Cars And Ecology
  • Home
  • Cars and Ecology
img-article
07feb

Impact Of Cars On Ecology

Bikeship
Ecology

Internal combustion engine

When the first internal combustion automobile was built in 1886, there were about 1.5 billion people in the world, and now we are approaching 8 billion. This demand means that the oil fields will eventually run out, so the “I'll drive a diesel all my life” approach is not only wrong but also selfish. The global fuel shortage is a problem that could cause not only a massive recession, but the death of billions of people.

An internal combustion engine is good when it reaches 40 percent efficiency. The remaining 60% is lost in hundreds of moving parts, in frictional heat and energy transfer. Today, electric motor efficiency can be as high as 99 percent, and that's not dry data because performance follows.

Environment must be viewed both globally and in the context of an agglomeration. Many people live by the principle "enough for my life", but wouldn't it be better if there was more fresh air in the cities? Standing in a traffic jam with an open glass is like inhaling exhaust gases directly from the exhaust system. How much better would life be if you could smell anything other than the smell of exhaust fumes when you walk on the sidewalk?

Electric vehicles and lithium batteries

The average battery replacement interval was assumed to be 10 years. In theory, this means making new batteries and disposing of old ones. Consider the issue of recycling that damages the environment. The term in these 10 years is an open topic and depends on several factors. The first and most obvious is the technology issue - for example, the Nissan Leaf batteries are passively air-cooled, so their capacity drops faster than the active liquid-cooled batteries found in Tesla, GM, VAG. cars and several others.

Of course, at the current stage of the EV industry, it is difficult to tell the average battery life, and it will still take us many years and millions of vehicles for the statistics to be more reliable.

Companies are starting to appear around the world using such batteries, giving them a second and third life away from the automotive industry. Tesla can be used as a model, which has found use of "used" batteries to store energy in buildings.

There is also the problem of obtaining the raw materials required for the production of such batteries. Lithium deposits are plentiful around the world (around 230 billion tonnes), which means its price won't be as volatile as cartel-driven oil. Recent analyzes based on the demand for lithium show that its reserves will never run out. Of course, you may not agree with this, but the likelihood that after some time we will switch to graphene or atomic technology makes us believe that lithium is enough for current and future.

gallery
gallery

Spirit of progress

The transition to "electric" is inevitable. Limitations related to travel range and charging speed will soon be a thing of the past, and then the part of the automotive world that criticizes the electric car will be left without ammunition.

Air pollution is turning mother nature prematurely gray

Irv KupcinetColumnist

Even 10 years ago, the first serial electric cars were charged for 10 hours, had a power reserve of about 250 km, and the infrastructure was so poorly developed that, in fact, these restrictions made it impossible to massively use electric drives in cars. However, the speed of development is so fast that a well-planned electrician vacation trip is no longer a problem. In terms of charging speed, new standards are constantly being introduced, for example, the Porsche Taycan will use an 800V setting, which will allow it to charge 80% of its battery in just over 2 hours. The manufacturer recently proved that it covers 3,500 kilometers in 24 hours.

For those criticizing the automotive spirit of electric vehicles, how many of you have driven a Tesla S? Once you become familiar with the amazing acceleration of electric vehicles, you will realize that this is a necessary, rewarding, but also exciting progress. At the moment, the electric drive is the best that can be implemented on a global scale - the efficiency is incomparably high, the performance is amazing, the ecology is not a myth. And the approach of governments that strongly support the switch to electricity makes the purchase of such a machine all the more profitable.